FANRPAN Food Security Policy Leadership Award His Excellency, President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete President of the United Republic of Tanzania
The FANRPAN Food Security Policy Leadership Award is given to individuals and organisations that have made extensive contributions through policy development, appropriate technology and other unique interventions that make a significant contribution to food security.
This year, FANRPAN recognised His Excellency, President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete (President of the United Republic of Tanzania), who since he took office on 21st December 2005, has been striving to put programmes that would bring change to the majority of Tanzanians. These programmes cover various sectors that have direct impact to the people’s lives be it in agriculture; health, education or economic empowerment just to mention a few.
His Excellency, Dr. Kikwete’s Fourth Phase Government established such programmes to ensure that people’s livelihoods get improved by participating in these developmental projects/ programmes. Among them are:
His government spearheaded the following programmes:
- Formulation of the Agricultural Sector Development Programme (ASDP) soon after he became President. This is a 14 year Programme to support and transform the Agriculture Sector through, among other interventions :Irrigation; Input subsidies: development of markets; and the establishment of Agricultural Development Bank.
- Kilimo Kwanza (Agriculture first) with a focus on the role of the Private Sector in implementing ASDP
- Tanzania Agriculture and Food Security Investment Plan (TAFSIP) (under CAADP Framework) and;
- Related PRIVATE SECTOR programmes with the support of development partners, such as
- Southern Agriculture growth Corridor of Tanzania (SAGCOT),
- Rural Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Support Programme or Muungano wa Ujasiriamali Vijijini (MUVI) in Kiswahili,
- Feed the Future, Bread basket
To support ASDP there are other programmes such as
FANRPAN particularly recognised the formulation of Kilimo Kwanza, which is Tanzania’s green revolution to transform its agriculture into a modern and commercial sector. Kilimo Kwanza declaration of 2009 is a Public Private Partnership initiative. The main objective of Kilimo Kwanza is to raise agricultural productivity through enhanced investments, both public and private, in rural infrastructure such as roads, irrigation, inputs such as high yielding seed varieties fertilizer and technology as well as value addition.
His Excellency President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete United Republic of Tanzania with Mr Ajay Vashee Acting FANRPAN Board Chair
His Excellency President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete United Republic of Tanzania receiving the 2012 FANRPAN Policy Leadership Award